Thursday, November 10, 2005

alt letter...

we didn't get a chance to talk about expectations. as far the injury goes, i hope you'll agree with me that it is your responsiblity as business owner to provide medical care for workers injured on the job. this is law, whether that worker is your son or daughter or unrelated. I understand your decision to not carry it, and the state does, too. That's why they let you work it out with the employee. I'd simply like you to do for me what you would have to do for any other person who was employed by you. I want you to cover the medical bills incurred at the time of my accident, provide a garuantee that you will pay for followup visits and any physical therapy that I may need to take care of this injury. It could be that this will not be a long term disability, that's my fervrent hope. But it's been a month and I have shooting pains in my leg still. If I don't get some diagnosis and treatment on this it could well turn intosomething serious. But Dad, I simply do not have the means to do this on my own.
You fired me from the job before I could even begin to save money to move out of your house. I had expected to be employed by you for at least a year, maybe more. Frankly, the firing was big shock. I also feel that you didn't want me in your house anymore, that's why I left. I asked you at the time for a loan to have a place to live in the first month. What I could reasonably expect, as an injured employ fired from the job scant weeks after the injury, is a minimum serverance package of two weeks pay on top of my earnings. Instead of offering me this, I had to ask you for a loan, which you grudgingly gave me. A loan which, you must realise, can not even come close to allowing me to get established in tampa.
Dad, I do want to get established here. I like this town well enough to want to begin college here. I intend to do this, but I keep running into road blocks, not the least of which is not having a permanent address to give to perspective employers. Therefore, getting a job is a challenge> where should I get one? Close to my home? But I have no home. And to rent an apartment, landlords want proof of employment. All but the Annie Apartments on Nebraska. I could live there I suppose. But they will be taking the remainder of my money as deposit and first weeks rent. Then I've got to come up with the next week's rent. Plus have bus fare to get to a job, if i get one this week. But I'm looking for jobs near Lynze's place because that's where the jobs are. And the school I'm registered in is also on this side of town.The apartments are way across town.

Ok, so you don't need a litany of my problems...Suffice it to say that I'm trying as best I can to make it work, but I really need some financial help and I have no one else to turn to. So yes, that's another reason I 'd prefer to talk to you about how family takes care of its own, rather than using the courts to settle it. I need you to help me with a start here, and to help me with college. I'm asking this as your son, not your former employee. Show me what family means, Dad.
Please give me enough to move into a studio apartment near school -deposit, one month's rent & electricity. Please tell me you want me to succeed at something by paying for my books, since mom is paying for the classes until I can get some financial aid. Please fill out the financial aid forms when I ask you to. Please send me a laptop so I can do my schoolwork. These are not things that are on the table over any lawsuit. They are on the table as a son to a father, asking you to invest in your child's future.
I'd like to thank you for sending me to cross creek. That was an investment in me. Don't think I don't realise it. I wish you would have gotten more out of it, but I'm thankful for what I got out of it.. Because of your investment there, I am able to function without medications and with a modicum of self esteem. Obviously, I still have a lot to learn. I can't pay you back for that. But I'm willing to consider all of this help as a loan. I'll pay you back in small monthly installments until I graduate, then we can renegotiate a monthly fee. Please help me to realize my full potential, invest in my future, so that I will be in a position someday to help you if you need it.